Green, Green Grass of Home

In our previous article, the author suggested that a struggling country like Greece should, for one – calm its people. And they could do that by helping provide jobs.

A financially-troubled country, specially, cannot do this alone – outside help is needed. And this in the form of foreign direct investments. Yet the government should talk out its citizens into accepting lower wages for the meantime, while the country’s leaders should agree to significant pay cuts until the country has recovered.

Now, okay, it would be unfair that a country’s ordinary people pay for the bill for something they did not do. However, the country is in a quagmire and you got to start somewhere; hence, forget the pain for the meantime.

If what a country’s leader would do is suggest that the unemployed be mobile for work as German Chancellor Angela Merkel just said – then you could be exposing your country to vulnerability.

Well and good if your citizens get jobs within the country or in places that could absorb great migration; but what if its outside your “comfort zone”?

Yes, because of severe pressure or discrepancy in opportunities, majority of the best and brightest might leave the country. Brain drain is one thing a country, particularly struggling ones, has to address if it wants to get back to its feet sooner than later.

Hey, you don’t just push people out, you offer alternatives. Yes, the country is in pain and its not the fault of the ordinary people – but you got to foster “patriotism”, after all, they are still the true sons and daughters of your country.

Next, have you thought of worker abuse or undervaluation or loss of pride?

Fine, not many Europeans may experience this as not many of Europe’s lesser skilled people would want to move out of their country.

This brings us back to brain drain. Only those who are truly skilled would have that confidence and pride to be mobile enough for work, right?

Now, what if 90% of the population are skilled, 80% moves out – and of the remaining talented 20%, most are in the government (who may be corrupt) or are still trying to turn their business around?

Can you imagine the scenarios?
image

Forming trade alliances. Producing quality goods. Increasing exports. Providing unique services. Attracting FDIs.

These are all good but you need, more than ever, the help, cooperation and trust of your people to really get over the hill.

What’s your take?

Advertisements